- Waterloo, ON Canada
- 4+ Years
- Job Ref #
- Emb-SW-Eng - 2012-06-23
The Nuvation Waterloo office is looking for one or more experienced Design Engineers with a solid background in Embedded Software and extensive kernel-level Linux development. Exposure to other areas of electronics design, including firmware, board-level digital design, and logic design would also be beneficial. A strong desire to succeed and a passion for learning are essential.
The rapid hardware development cycle at Nuvation provides a unique and challenging opportunity to develop and apply skills ranging from system architecture through to detailed implementation and system integration. The Waterloo office combines the aggressiveness and opportunities of a start-up environment with the backing of a highly respected world-class engineering design services organization.
This role requires significant design, implementation, and embedded real-time systems debugging skills/aptitude combined with excellent independence and demonstrated project execution abilities. The primary focus will be on bringing up Linux on new embedded hardware (including porting and board support package development) as well as designing and implementing application and driver-level software for a wide variety of applications on embedded Linux systems.
- Embedded Firmware/Software design and development
- Device driver design and development
- Linux bring up on new platforms
- Microcontroller selection
- Custom communications protocol design
- System Testing
- Some involvement with hardware design
- System integration with board-level designs
- 4+ years experience with kernel-level Linux, ideally on non-x86 embedded platforms
- Significant experience with C program development.
- Experience working with telecom, digital video, handheld devices, or related industries
- Experience with Linux 2.4 and 2.6 kernels
- Experience bringing up Linux on new hardware
- Experience with Linux device driver development
- Experience with make, gcc and gdb
- Experience interfacing with numerous hardware components, buses, protocols, etc.
- Experience with communications code over Ethernet, USB, Firewire, or other interfaces
- Experience with standard Linux packages and shell utilities
- Independent and self-managing
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written)
Nuvation staff work on projects combining embedded software, FPGAs, firmware, and board-level electronics designs. We operate in several vertical markets and technology sectors, including optical/wireless/storage networking, consumer electronics, medical devices, video and image processing, and security/defense.
Nuvation offers competitive salaries with excellent health, dental, vision, and disability benefits. All positions at Nuvation have opportunities for diversity, innovation, advancement, and success. We have a fast-paced, yet relaxed work environment and a unique corporate culture.