A talented, innovative Principal FW/SW Engineer / System Architect, who successfully combines architecture, technical and project leadership, is required for a full time position in our San Jose office. Proven experience with Architecture for Embedded Software/Firmware Design for a minimum of 8 years is required. As a principal engineer, you’ll also be our linebacker (providing mentorship, backup and guidance to other team members); someone who can swoop into a project to gain a short-term result.
Engineering Execution – actively participate in the delivery of our Engineering Services, as an Architect incorporating your experience as a Project Leader, Technical Lead, Design Reviewer, and Designer. All levels of technical activity will be involved, varying depending on the project and team resources.
Technical Leadership – develop and mentor other engineers; team-level leadership and involvement in both our customer projects and internal Engineering Methodology efforts.
Customer Interaction – ensure project success by working directly with customers on project definition, specifications, and ongoing management. Provide pre-sales and post-sales technical resources to support our Business Development Directors/Account Managers.
- Identify architecture solutions that meet the technical functional and non-technical requirements of the software solutions while providing traceability between proposed architecture solutions and the corresponding requirements
- Provide initial planning effort and cost estimates for Requests for Proposals and for Change Orders
- Work with the client to determine infrastructure and operational impacts, changes and schedules to meet both project and client’s architectural needs
- Provide overall structure for the various architectural views: the decomposition of the view, the grouping of elements, and the interfaces between these major groupings
- De-risk proposed architectural solutions during the design phase with the goal of demonstrating that requirements have been met through the use of the working prototypes
- Evaluate, research, and select solution structures which meet requirements (both technical functional and non-technical) balancing the solution goals and constraints while making best use of the standard architectural assets and patterns
- Guide development in designing reusable software components in compliance with standards and industry best practices
- Define and document relevant software patterns and design mechanisms to be used to implement the underlying components
- Review and approve all designs developed by the development team
- Oversee the activities of the developers to ensure consistency of approaches and implementation
- Ensure that the development deliverables are completed to the expected level of quality.
- Raise potential impacts to schedule, scope or quality to the Project Manager
- Act as a point of liaison regarding architecture to various other roles within the project
- High-level design, detailed design, and implementation/verification of embedded systems firmware/software
- Experience working with programmable logic/board designers on system bringup
- Ability to partition architecture in SW and HW elements (including programmable logic)
- Technical leadership experience with a willingness to mentor and collaborate with team members
- Experience with Embedded Linux or real-time operating systems such as VxWorks
- Experience with a variety of processor devices
- Experience with Object Oriented Design
- Experience with developing multi-threaded applications
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple concurrent tasks/projects
- Self-directed and continuous learner
- Strong verbal communication and experienced in writing technical documentation and engineering proposals including effort and calendar estimations
- Passion and creativity
- Hands-on and practical approach to engineering
- Focus on results and commitment to quality
- Design experience in a secondary discipline such as programmable logic or board design
- Experience with Embedded Windows development; kernel and driver architecture experience
- Experience with Texas Instruments OMAP/Davinci/similar chips
- Experience working with video and imaging applications
Nuvation offers competitive salaries with excellent health, life and disability benefits. All positions have opportunity for diversity, innovation, advancement, and success. We have a fast-paced, yet relaxed work environment and a unique corporate culture. Nuvation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Nuvation Engineering provides accelerated Electronic Product Design and Manufacturing services. From initial electronics architecture to new product manufacturing, we develop all the boards, programmable logic, firmware, and software to make those products run. Nuvation creates complex products integrating FPGAs, DSPs, Analog/Power, RF, microprocessors, and other cutting –edge technologies for clients in the medical, telecom, defense/aerospace, video security, green power, semi-conductor, and broadcast video sectors, to name just a few. Our advanced design process ensures we get it right – the first time.
If others describe you as a passionate, creative, and practical engineer - a collaborative technical leader who can work with a dedicated team of professionals to deliver first-time-right electronic device prototypes - then this really is the job for you.