Nuvation Engineering is looking for a talented, innovative Principal Embedded Software Engineer/System Architect, who successfully combines architecture skills, deep technical expertise, and project leadership. This is a full time position in our Sunnyvale office. Proven experience with Architecture for Embedded Software/Firmware Design for a minimum of 8 years is required. In this role you will be a critical member and leader in Nuvation’s Engineering group. If you are looking for constant challenges on a wide variety of design projects, this is the job for you.
- Engineering Execution – Actively contributing to the delivery of our Engineering Services. All levels of technical activity will be involved, ranging from design and development to in-lab bringup. This will be your primary activity – creating new products for Nuvation and our customers, bringing into the world products that never existed before
- Technical Development – Developing your technical skills, knowledge and leadership through a work environment that provides mentoring and open collaboration.
- Customer Interaction – Ensuring project success by working directly with team members to provide timely and accurate project updates to clients. Providing pre-sales and post-sales technical resources to support our Sales Account Managers.
- System Architecture – Identify and define architecture level solutions that meet the technical and non-technical requirements of the system/product
- Technical Leadership – Leading, defining, and evolving software development methodologies and resources
Qualifications & Requirements
- Extensive experience with embedded software design and development, in as many areas as you can bring
- Design documentation – figuring out the work to be done before implementation
- Design implementation – coding, unit testing, peer reviews
- Design validation – unit testing, system testing, integration, and final releases
- Experiences with planning projects and generating cost estimates for Requests for Proposals and for Change Orders
- Experience working with stakeholders and customers to determine infrastructure and operational impacts, changes and schedules to meet both project and business architectural needs
- Experience guiding development in designing reusable software components in compliance with standards and industry best practices
- Experience defining and documenting relevant software patterns and design mechanisms to be used to implement the underlying components
- Experience reviewing and approving designs created by the development team
- Experience with structured software development methodologies such as Agile
- Experience with one or more embedded operating systems, ranging from Embedded Linux to FreeRTOS
- Experience with a variety of microprocessors and microcontrollers, particularly ARM-based or FPGA-based SoCs
- University degree or College Diploma in Electrical/Electronics, Mechatronics or Computer Science, or equivalent experience
- Experience working with video and imaging applications
- Experience working with power management and battery systems
- Experience working with web systems
- Design experience in a complementary discipline
General Skills & Characteristics to be Successful at Nuvation
All Nuvation employees require a common set of general skills & characteristics – your capability in these areas will enable you to be successful at Nuvation. We take these skills and characteristics seriously – being a Nuvation employee requires more than just experience and role-specific skills.
- You want to learn, and you do so quickly
- You are effective at multi-tasking and switching gears by prioritizing, focusing, and adapting to the multiple concurrent tasks/projects at hand
- You are proficient at estimation and critical thinking
- You are organized, independent, and self-managing
- You have strong written and verbal communication
- You desire to work and collaborate with people and teams – you make your colleagues better and you grow from their contributions
- You focus on results, and with quality
- You are passionate and creative – with a willingness to go beyond the normal
- You are hands-on and practical
Nuvation Engineering offers competitive salaries with health, dental, vision, and disability benefits. All positions have opportunities for variety, innovation, and success. We have a fast-paced, yet relaxed work environment, and a unique corporate culture that will support and encourage you to perform at your personal best for your colleagues and our customers. We promise you respect, teamwork, and appreciation for a job well done.
Nuvation provides project-based engineering design services alongside manufacturing engineering and battery management products. In business since 1997, we are headquartered in Sunnyvale, California and have a full design center in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. For more details please see About Us.