Feb 6, 2017
Nuvation COO Discusses Embedded Software Development with Digital Engineering Magazine
Sunnyvale California, October 2016. Nuvation’s COO Michael Hermann was recently interviewed for the October issue of Digital Engineering. He sat down with editor Beth Stackpole to discuss:
- Factors that influence a company’s decision to outsource embedded software development
- Considerations for choosing an engineering services provider
- The pros and cons of outsourcing
With over 18 years of experience in software design services, Michael provided some valuable insights regarding embedded software projects. Here are some highlights from that interview:
- The complex products being developed today require more resources, a higher level of technical expertise, and shorter production time. These factors have led many companies to opt for some level of embedded software outsourcing over the last few years.
- When choosing a services provider for embedded software projects, the earlier an external team can be brought in the better.
- The temptation for many companies will be to move forward to code quickly. However, working with a methodical, clear-step approach and leveraging proven change management and collaboration processes will lower development costs and ensure higher quality results.
- Outsourcing to an experienced engineering company can eliminate problems early on. Embedded software is a niche area of expertise and if an outsourced team doesn't have the right experience, serious problems can arise.